Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mystery Woman and An Historical Figure


This picture is from 1911 and only one person in it is identified. On the back of the photo is written, in a woman's handwriting:

"Taken on station platform back in 1911 (?) the fellow to my right is Daniel Basil O'Connor (head of March of Dimes) and my brother is next to him and back a little"

So we goggled Daniel Basil O'Connor and discovered that he was in fact the founder of the March of Dimes, a trusted legal adviser and friend to Franklin D. Roosevelt, among other things. check out this link to read more about this interesting man.

http://dartmed.dartmouth.edu/fall04/html/man_in_the_middle.shtml

We also discovered that he graduated from Dartmouth in 1912, so he would have attended at the same time as Frank Cushman, my Great-Grandfather.

So my theory is that the woman is my Great-Great Grandmother, Frank's Mother. Mom, can you confirm this?


No comments: